Piazza Maggiore , Bologna: Guide Bologna: Italy - Nozio 0%

Author: nearyc






Piazza Maggiore , Italy

This is the salon of the city. It was once the center of political and religious power, but is now one of the main gathering places of the city, used for meetings, concerts or simple evening strolling. The square was built in the 13th century to create a complex of buildings for public events.


The fountain of Neptune, symbol of Bologna, stands at the entrance to the building Palazzo Re Enzo Built in 1244, for 23 years it was the "residence" of the son of the Emperor Frederick II: King Enzo of Sardinia, taken prisoner during the battle of Fossalta (1249). The first floor contains weapons and war machines of Bologna's army, the second floor was used to hold sessions of the popular councils. The Sala del Trecento is impressive.

Next to Palazzo Re Enzo, stands Palazzo del Podestà; the building, the first seat of the citizen's government is surmounted by a square tower containing a 2 ton bell: called the Campanazzo it rings during important occasions. The vaults of the building were once enlivened with the workshops of haberdashers, green grocers and artisans. The side facing the square was remodelled in Renaissance style. The two buildings are opened for exhibits and events.

Palazzo Comunale
This is an impressive building-fortress overlooking Piazza Maggiore, today the seat of the municipal government. It is characterized by a succession of overlapping styles; the part in Gothic style with marble mullioned windows and terra cotta decorations, dates back to 1400. On the left is the 16th century portal surmounted by a statue of Gregory XIII. Inside the complex it is possible to visit (if not in use) a succession of wonderful halls and chapels, climbing the 16th century stairway designed for a triumphant ascent on horseback. Sala Farnese leads to the Collezioni Comunali d'Arte and Museo Morandi.

The Archiginnasio
sits on the eastern side of Piazza Maggiore, built by Cardinal Borromeo between 1562 and 1563 as the sight of the university Law and Arts schools. It currently houses the town library. Interior: the walls of the halls, vaults of the stairways and loggias are decorated with the engravings of thousands of students' coats of arms and names. The Teatro Anatomico in carved wood, was built by Antonio Levante in 1637 for teaching anatomy. Visiting hours: Monday-Saturday 9:00am-1:00pm.

Author:Nozio





 

Search hotels in

When? (optional)